We hope you are enjoying a beautiful fall season. This month we want to connect you with therapy gardens, updated green jobs resources, champion trees, pumpkin recipes, and a few ways to get your spirits up for Halloween.
“I’m so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers.” ― L. M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
NEWS & UPDATES
Boo-tiful Plants: Whether you are looking to add some seasonal plant fun or want to create a year round haunting impression, add these Boo-tiful Plants for Halloween and Beyond.
It’s All About That Squash: It’s the season to celebrate pumpkins. See Tracy’s Pumpkin Collection to enjoy some recipes, fun facts, and tips on how to grow this favorite seasonal gourd.
Champion Trees: American Forests has released their 2020 Champion Trees National Register. Virginia led all states with 102 registered champion and co-champion trees. Learn more at treesvirginia.org/blog and congratulations to the Virginia Big Tree Program!
Green Jobs: Connecting People With Hort Jobs has been recently updated with new resources for students, internships, job seekers, and employers.
Therapy Gardens: The NGB 2020 Therapeutic Garden Grant winners have been announced. Congratulations to The Learning Garden, Capper Foundation, and Allies, Inc. View the winning gardens at ngb.org/therapeutic-grant-program. Also from NGB, learn how to create your own garden with therapeutic benefits.
Gifts from the Garden: It may seem early, but now is a good time to consider gifts that you can create from your garden such as ornaments, decor, ways to share your harvest, and more.
Seed Saving Time: A great outdoor activity this time of year is to look for seeds to save for your garden next year and to potentially share with others. Learn how to make seed packets with Plantsmap.com links and find other seed saving resources at info.plantsmap.com/journal/make-seed-packets-plantsmap-com-links.
Buy It Plants: Plants Map Resource members have been actively adding Buy It Plants that can be delivered to your door to enjoy in your garden. More than 1,300 plants are now available! Learn about becoming a Resource and our Buy It plants service
More to Explore
Our October 2020 cover photo feature is
Small White Asters
- Halloween ideas from SciStarter: Help scientists find things that go bump in the night with citizen science projects that help ward off fears, myths, and conspiracies.
- How to Carve a Turnip Jack-o-lantern: From Lovely Greens, these traditional European lanterns pre-date pumpkin carving and can have an even scarier effect.
- Celebrate Bat Week! Did you know October 24-31 is Bat Week. Learn the important role bats play in nature.
- These small seahorses graze in the Chesapeake Bay’s underwater grass beds – Bay Journal
- In a ‘Huge Victory,’ California’s Joshua Tree becomes the first plant protected due to climate change – Smithsonian Magazine
- Why You Should Leave the Leaves – National Wildlife Federation
- COVID-19 Resources from ANCA – Links, resources, and updates for public spaces such as nature centers, parks, gardens, trails and more.
- The Coronavirus Resource Center from American Hort – Get horticulture related updates and resources for businesses, garden centers, and growers.
Help Desk: Our archive of help articles, videos and other support materials has moved from info.plantsmap.com/help to help.plantsmap.com. If you can’t find the information you are looking for, or would like an online getting started demo, you can still email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We hope you enjoyed our E-Journal. Plantsmap.com is more fun with others! Please share this E-Journal and invite friends, staff, volunteers, visitors, and customers to follow your profile or connect with your organization.
The Plants Map Team