As November ends, we hope you are enjoying all that this season of gratitude has to offer. Each day we appreciate the opportunity to meet and work with more people that feel the same as we do about connecting people with plants. Thank you for your continued support and for being a part of our community.
We hope you will also take a moment this season to appreciate all that nature is providing to us each day.
“Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.” – Camille Pissarro
NEWS & UPDATES
Opt Outside: This year we want to encourage you to not only Opt Outside on Black Friday, but throughout the holiday season as well. Find resources to help you take a mindful hike outside.
Look Up: Mistletoe Day is December 1st. Learn more about this hemiparasitic plant and the curious evolution of its origins as a holiday plant.
Giving Tuesday: December 1st is #GivingTuesday. Learn about this initiative created to encourage a day of giving and collaboration via social media.
Poinsettia Season: Did you know December 12th is Poinsettia Day? Explore the history of poinsettias and tips on how to care for them.
Garden Inspired Gifts: Look to your garden and landscape for nature inspired gifts that you can create from your garden such as ornaments, decor, ways to share your harvest, and more.
Thankful for Trees: We certainly are thankful for trees. And here are some great reasons to hug a tree.
- From Nature.org, 6 Ways Trees Benefit All of Us when we help them to thrive.
- From Vibrant Cities, learn how urban forests and trees improve our mental and physical health.
Green Jobs: Connecting People With Hort Jobs has been recently updated with new resources for students, internships, job seekers, and employers.
Plant A Seed: From Seed Your Future, explore educational DIY project videos that bring the exciting world of plants into your home, classroom, or virtual classroom.
Looking Forward: Reflections on New Plants As We (Hopefully) Move on From COVID-19 from Dr. Armitage
Buy It Plants: Plants Map Resource members have been actively adding Buy It Plants that can be delivered to your door to enjoy in your garden. More than 1,300 plants are now available! Learn about becoming a Resource and our Buy It plants service
More to Explore
Our November 2020 cover photo feature is
- Christmas tree buying tips: What to look for, how to keep it fresh and more | PennLive.com
- Before you Buy: Get to Know the Different Types of Real Christmas Trees | Patch.com
- Eco Talk: Tips for Buying Christmas Trees | AuburnPub.com
- TIP: Shopping online for a fresh Christmas Tree this year? Many garden centers are offering fresh, local Christmas Tree delivery to your door. Check with your local garden centers for options.
- Trees Are Time Machines | The Atlantic
- Cockroaches the main pollinator of a rare Chinese flower | Botany One
- Australian researchers find native grasses could be grown for mass consumption | The Guardian
- COVID-19 Resources from ANCA – Links, resources, and updates for public spaces such as nature centers, parks, gardens, trails and more.
- The Coronavirus Resource Center from American Hort – Get horticulture related updates and resources for businesses, garden centers, and growers.
Help Desk: Our archive of help articles, videos and other support materials has moved from info.plantsmap.com/help to help.plantsmap.com. If you can’t find the information you are looking for, or would like an online getting started demo, you can still email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We hope you enjoyed our E-Journal. Plantsmap.com is more fun with others! Please share this E-Journal and invite friends, staff, volunteers, visitors, and customers to follow your profile or connect with your organization.
The Plants Map Team