Summer has arrived and the growing season is heating up. This month we wanted to share highlights from Pollinator Week and more online events, virtual tours, and other garden opportunities.
News & Updates
7 Best: Thank you to Country Living for including Plantsmap.com their list of 7 Best Gardening Apps and Virtual Tools by Arricca Elin Sansone.
Congratulations: We are excited to share that Governor Livingston High School has opened Highlander Arboretum, the first ArbNet Accredited high school in New Jersey. Visit Highlander Arboretum on Plants Map | Learn more about ArbNet Accreditation
AAS Contestants Announced: All-America Selections has announced their 2020 Landscape Design Challenge display garden contestants. This year’s theme is “Make an Entrance!” and these AAS display gardens have been planning and planting over the past several months. You are invited to explore these educational gardens as they re-open to the public this summer.
Learn more about AAS Display Gardens: All-America Selections Display Gardens are centers for learning and growing by Emily Murphy | Visit All-America Selections on Plants Map
Pollinator Week: We wanted to share some of our favorite content and activities from Pollinator Week 2020 (June 22-28).
- Pollinator Partnership 2020 Poster: The theme of this year’s poster is Our Future Flies With Pollinators. Take an interactive virtual tour of the poster at pollinator.org/poster-2020.
- Miles for Monarchs: The Monarch Joint Venture launched a virtual Mile for Monarchs challenge and fundraiser. Although the mile challenge has ended, donations are still being accepted. Learn more at monarchjointventure.org/get-involved/donate/miles-for-monarchs.
- Bee City USA & Bee Campus USA: Celebrating a Year of Enacting Positive Change at xerces.org/blog/celebrating-a-year-of-enacting-positive-change-bee-city-usa-bee-campus-usa.
Pollinator Content from Plants Map
- Plants for Endangered Pollinators
- Trees for Bees Collection by Tracy Blevins
- Native Plants Bring a Virginia Landscape to Life
- Bee Forage Collection by Annkat
- Million Pollinator Garden Challenge surpasses one million registered gardens
- Toyota welcomes pollinators and visitors to its Texas truck plant
- Plum Creek Nature Center fulfills dream of early naturalist
- Monarch butterfly advocate raises awareness of growing milkweed
- Volunteers turn a public library landscape into an educational pollinator garden
- July 8-10 National Children & Youth Garden Symposium (online)
- July 13-16 Cultivate 2020 Virtual
Virtual Camping: The National Park Foundation has launched an online Parks at Home experience that includes virtual tours and webcams of National Parks plus educational activities for kids.
Buy It Plants: Plants Map Resource members have been actively adding Buy It Plants that can be delivered to your door to enjoy in your garden. More than 1,300 plants are now available! Learn about becoming a Resource and our Buy It plants service
More to Explore
Our June 2020 cover photo feature is
- Near Me Interactive Map Feature – Plantsmap.com
- Warning Signs and Symptoms of Heat-Related Illness – CDC
- Summer Tree Care Tips – Canopy Blog
- Trees for Bees | Pollinator Partnership (Poster 2016)
- Recreating the “great outdoors” in miniature | CBS News Sunday Morning
- Artist Uses Real Pressed Flowers to Create Beautiful Animal Illustrations | My Modern Met
- Cash Crops from the Woods; Forest Farming Economy to Shoot Up | WTFV
- COVID-19 Resources from ANCA – Links, resources, and updates for public spaces such as nature centers, parks, gardens, trails and more.
- The Coronavirus Resource Center from American Hort – Get horticulture related updates and resources for businesses, garden centers, and growers.
Help Desk: Our archive of help articles, videos and other support materials has moved from info.plantsmap.com/help to help.plantsmap.com. If you can’t find the information you are looking for, or would like an online getting started demo, you can still email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We hope you enjoyed our E-Journal. Plantsmap.com is more fun with others! Please share this E-Journal and invite friends, staff, volunteers, visitors, and customers to follow your profile or connect with your organization.
The Plants Map Team