It’s been a year of challenge, change, courage, and compassion. And through it all, a welcome respite was found outdoors in the nature, landscapes, and gardens that surrounded us.
As this year comes to close, we wanted to share with you some of your most viewed plants, collections, and organization profiles from our Plants Map community.
Thank you for continuing to grow with us. We look forward to Happy New Year 2021.
Most Viewed Organization Profiles
Most Viewed Collections
- Bassett Trace Nature Trail by Colonial Williamsburg Arboretum
- 2020 Virtual Iris Show and Garden Tour by Fredericksburg Area Iris Society
- Sensory Garden by Anderson County Library System – Main Library
Most Viewed Plants
- Compton Oak by Colonial Williamsburg Arboretum
- Pelee Mum by Tracy Blevins
- Peach Lemonade Rose by Bloomin Easy Plants
Most Engaging Plants on Instagram – @Plantsmap www.instagram.com/plantsmap
- Cryptomeria japonica ‘Rasen’ by Bill Blevins
- Calycanthus floridus by Tracy Blevins
- Hydrangea macrophylla ‘Blue Danube’ by Tracy Blevins
NEWS & UPDATES
2021 Perennial Plant of the Year: Calamint has been selected by the Perennial Plant Association as their 2021 Perennial Plant of the Year. Learn more about Calamint from Tracy Blevins.
New AAS Winners: The latest 2021 AAS Winners recently announced include a Zinnia Profusion Red Yellow Bicolor, a pure white Leucanthemum Sweet Daisy™ Birdy, a beautiful and great tasting Echalion Creme Brulee Shallot, and a compact Pepper Pot-a-peno F1 Jalapeno. Learn more about all the current 2021 AAS Winners on Plants Map.
2021 NGB “Year of the” Campaigns: Each year the National Garden Bureau selects one annual, one perennial, one bulb crop, one edible and one shrub as our “Year of the” crops. 2021 will be the Year of the Sunflower, Monarda, Hyacinth, Garden Bean, and Hardy Hibiscus. Learn more about the 2021 crops at ngb.org/year-of-plants-2021.
ANCA Virtual Exchange: Have you ever thought about exploring the different environments of North America? Learn about the Association of Nature Center Administrators newly launched Virtual Program Exchange of monthly events.
Threading a (pine) needle: From VT Daily, Virginia’s Big Tree Program finds balance between tree science and community engagement. Learn more about the Virginia Big Tree Program.
The PHS Philadelphia Flower Show: A new and exciting outdoor Philadelphia Flower Show experience will be coming to you in June 2021. Tickets go on sale in January.
First Day Hikes: On New Year’s Day, America’s State Parks will once again celebrate with First Day Hikes that have been adapted to include smaller groups, virtual hikes, self-guided hikes and trail challenges.
MANTS January 6-8: The Mid-Atlantic Nursery Trade Show invites you to kick-off the new year by attending the 2021 MANTS Online Business Hub filled with commerce, connections, and direct access to over 550 exhibiting horticulture companies.
Houseplant Day: Did you know there is a day to hug your houseplants? Well you don’t really have to go that far, but you can learn about ways to celebrate them on January 10th, Houseplant Appreciation Day.
Green Jobs: Connecting People With Hort Jobs has been recently updated with new resources for students, internships, job seekers, and employers.
Plant A Seed: From Seed Your Future, explore educational DIY project videos that bring the exciting world of plants into your home, classroom, or virtual classroom.
Buy It Plants: Plants Map Resource members have been actively adding Buy It Plants that can be delivered to your door to enjoy in your garden. More than 1,300 plants are now available! Learn about becoming a Resource and our Buy It plants service
Our December 2020 cover photo feature is
Cryptomeria japonica ‘Rasen’
- Resources to protect plants and gardens from winter damage
- Choosing plant safe ice melt products
- Seed Swap Day – January 30
- How to make seed packet labels with PlantsMap.com links
- How to grow a garden from seed
- Top Performers From Welby Gardens’ 2020 Variety Field Trials | Greenhouse Growers
- Axiom shares 2021 gardening insights survey results | Garden Center Mag
- Illuminating Choices for the 2021 Pantone Color of the Year | Suntory Flowers
- ‘Ugliest orchid in the world’ among 2020’s new plant discoveries | The Guardian
- Extremely rare, one-of-a-kind flower found in Maui’s rugged mountains | The Sacramento Bee
- A Dinosaur Blooms in the Conservatory | New York Botanic Garden
- Are ‘Edible Landscapes’ the Future of Public Parks? | Smithsonian Magazine
- COVID-19 Resources from ANCA – Links, resources, and updates for public spaces such as nature centers, parks, gardens, trails and more.
- The Coronavirus Resource Center from American Hort – Get horticulture related updates and resources for businesses, garden centers, and growers.
Help Desk: Our archive of help articles, videos and other support materials has moved from info.plantsmap.com/help to help.plantsmap.com. If you can’t find the information you are looking for, or would like an online getting started demo, you can still email us at email@example.com.
We hope you enjoyed our E-Journal. Plantsmap.com is more fun with others! Please share this E-Journal and invite friends, staff, volunteers, visitors, and customers to follow your profile or connect with your organization.
The Plants Map Team