It’s easy to fall in love with Autumn. The blue skies seem more brilliant, the air is refreshingly crisp, and every leaf adds to a vibrant blanket of color. Let us share with you some ways to enjoy this season of abundance and gratitude by celebrating heritage trees, exploring beautiful fall foliage, creating gifts from the garden, and more.
NEWS & UPDATES
Heritage Trees: Historic preservation efforts are typically focused on architecture—but think about the stories that can be told through a century-old tree. The Bloom and Grow Garden Society in Winter Garden, Fla., is doing just that through its Winter Garden Heritage Tree Tour: Trees tell the story of “old Florida” community by Emily Freehling
Leaf Peeping: It’s not Autumn without some time spent leaf peeping. Plan a getaway or a day trip excursion with these Fall Foliage Prediction Maps from around the country
Boo-tiful Plants: Looking to add wicked fun to your garden for Halloween or maybe create a theme garden leaves a haunting impression? Try these Hauntingly Boo-tiful Plants for Halloween and Beyond.
2022 Perennial Plant of the Year: The Perennial Plant Association recently announced Schizachyrium scoparium (little bluestem) and cultivars as their 2022 Perennial Plant of the Year selection.
Keep Growing: Many crops perform and taste better when grown in cooler temperatures. Try these 15 AAS Winners for Fall Gardening from All-America Selections.
Garden Gifts: Get a jump start on the season of giving by harvesting some gifts from your garden.
- More Than Spice: Celebrate National Pumpkin Day on October 26. Learn 10 fun facts about pumpkins and more by Tracy Woods Blevins.
- Turnip Trick: Return to the original lantern of Halloween and learn How to Carve a Turnip with Lovely Greens.
- Who Goes There: 15 Haunted Forests Around the World from Conde Nast Traveler.
- If You Dare: Spend the Night at These Haunted Campgrounds from Outside Online.
- Persimmon Weather Forecasting: Did you know that folklore says you can foretell the winter weather with local persimmon seed. Learn more under the notes tab found on this persimmon tree story by Tracy Woods Blevins.
More to Explore
Our Autumn 2021 cover photo feature is
Rudbeckia American Gold Rush
Goodbye Summer Friends
- Follow the Fall Hummingbird Migration from Hummingbird Central
- Six Ways to Support Fall Monarch Migration from The National Wildlife Federation Blog
- Monarchs on the Move from Journey North
- The Monarch Conservation Webinar Series from Monarch Joint Venture
- Sunflower DIY Ideas: From crafts to cooking to kids’ parties, try these bright ideas using sunflowers from National Garden Bureau
- Hidden Treasures: How to grow and enjoy sweet potatoes the super food from National Garden Bureau
- Healthy Pumpkin Zucchini Chocolate Chip Bread | All-America Selections
- Saving and Sharing Seeds for a Seed Swap
- Think spring! Plant an Indoor Bulb Garden
- Why It’s Great to Plant Trees in the Fall
- Nurturing the magic of hydrangeas | CBS Sunday Morning
- From Shanksville’s scorched woods, two arborists emerged as unsung heroes of 9/11 | Reuters
Garden Savvy: We have joined the recently launched Garden Savvy community. Please consider visiting our Plants Map listing and leaving us a review. Thank you! Learn more about Garden Savvy.
New Help Article: Have you ever seen an unexpected 500 page error on Plants Map? There are a few bugs on the site that might trigger this. If you have encountered this, here are some steps to take.
Help Desk: Our archive of help articles, videos and other support materials can be found at help.plantsmap.com.
We hope you enjoyed our E-Journal. Plantsmap.com is more fun with others! Please share this E-Journal and invite friends, staff, volunteers, visitors, and customers to follow your profile or connect with your organization.
Tracy Woods Blevins
The Plants Map Team
Buy It Plants: Plants Map Resource members have been actively adding Buy It Plants that can be delivered to your door to enjoy in your garden. More than 1,300 plants are now available! Learn about becoming a Resource and our Buy It plants service