August definitely brought some heat! In keeping with the heatwave, this month we’re excited to bring you some hot new updates: the launch of our Near Me interactive plant finder filter and a new project to create a blockchain technology fundraising tool for tree and conservation groups.
News & Updates
Tokens for Trees: Plants Map is seeking organizations that are interested in learning about a new project to build a blockchain service to help fundraise via your trees and conservation related projects. Learn more about Tokens for Trees.
Near Me: Launching on August 30, plant explorers on Plants Map will have a new ‘Near Me’ search filter for both the site-wide Plant Finder tool and the profile specific My Plant Finder search results. Learn how this feature works from the perspective of a plant explorer and as an interactive map tool for visitors to your landscape.
New Features Webinar: If you missed our last new features webinar, you can now watch the recorded version with notes. Topics include profile settings, email notifications, and enhancements to the My Plant Finder tool.
New Help Video: Bill Blevins demonstrates how to attach our sign and tree mounting hardware to trees. Learn the proper way to attach them and why you need occasionally ‘spring’ them back.
Perennial Plant of the Year: Aralia ‘Sun King’ has been announced as the 2020 Perennial Plant of the Year by the Perennial Plant Association. Learn more about the PPA Perennial Plant of the Year program at perennialplant.org. On Plants Map, see Aralia ‘Sun King’ by Bill Blevins and order your own Aralia ‘Sun King’ from our resource member Rare Roots.
Dykes Winner: The American Iris Society has announced their 2019 Dykes Medal Winner – Tall Bearded Iris – ‘Bottle Rocket’. Learn about more winners in our 2019 Plants of the Year journal.
Featured Event: Sept 19-22, Virginia Cooperative Extension Master Gardener College. New this year is an opportunity for the general public to also register and attend the Master Gardener College sessions on Saturday, September 21.
See more events on Plants Map | Learn how to add your events.
More to Explore
Moreton Bay Fig
by Santa Monica College
by Top of the World ES Outdoor Classroom
Palm Beach Zoo
West Palm Beach, FL
Our August 2019 cover photo feature is
Tropical Milkweed (Asclepias curassavica)
- The Monarch Ultra – A team of film-makers, runners, and pollinator advocates will be telling the story of the flight of the monarch butterfly as seen through the eyes of ultra-runners who will run the same distance from southern Ontario to central Mexico (2,671 miles) in the fall of 2019.
- Living Near Trees, Not Just Green Space, Improves Wellbeing | CityLab
- The Tree That Is Live-Tweeting Climate Change | Atlas Obscura
- How to protect and increase pollinators in your landscape | MSU Extension
- The banana is one step closer to disappearing | National Geographic
- Learn more about Custom Plant Tabs including new help articles for the Tree Tab and Daffodil Tab.
- To be seen in our Plant Finder purpose filter of Plants to Visit, remember to edit your organization profile setting as a public landscape.
- Resource profiles can enroll in our Buy It service to list plants within our Plant Finder purpose filter of Plants to Buy.
- Online demos can be scheduled by contacting us. We also have a library of help videos that will be updated in 2019 as new features are released.
We hope you enjoyed our E-Journal. Plantsmap.com is more fun with others! Please share this E-Journal and invite friends, staff, volunteers, visitors, and customers to follow your profile or connect with your organization.
The Plants Map Team