There are several ways to enter address, geodata or GPS latitude and longitude data on Plants Map.
All of our forms for profiles, plants, collections and subcollections allow you to enter an address, manually enter the Lat/Long data, or use a find my location option. All geodata locations may also be set to private or public.
To enter a latitude or longitude your options while in edit mode are:
- Enter An Address: Enter a Google Maps recognized address and then click “Find My Location” and allow the browser to share you location information. A map will appear with a pin on the address you entered. You can manually drag the pin to an exact location.
- Manually Enter: Use the Lat/Long fields to manually enter your data. The format is Decimal Degrees (DD) and should look like this: Lat: 38.13556358, Lon: -77.57979892
- Find My Location: From a smartphone or tablet (with location services turned on) or a desktop click Find My Location and a pop-up window will place a pin on the map and allow you to drag to the desired location.
- If you are just starting we can import a plant list spreadsheet including the Lat/Long data for each plant profile. You can also go to My Plants Map and click the Export Excel button to download a file with our plant fields. Enter all of the plant fields that you wish to import including the Lat/Long data. Return the file to us via email at email@example.com and we will do an import of your plant list.
- If your plants are already on Plants Map, go to My Plants Map and click the Export Excel button and download the file and enter the Lat/Long data. Return the file to us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will do an import to your plants.
What’s the difference between private and public location settings?
- Public: Any location information provided that is marked as public will show on our community map page and can be seen when a visitor views your plant, collection or subcollection.
- Private: Any location information provided that is marked private will not be seen on our community map and can only be seen on any map by the owner when viewing their profile, plants, collections, subcollections. Any visitor to your profile, plants, collections, subcollections will see “Location Is Private.”