The intent of Plants Map is to allow everyone to document in their own words their experiences and information about the plants they add to their profile.
Plant stories should be authentic and unique and originally created by the user. Aggregating facts and growing details from others sources is allowed as long you cite your sources and link to them in the story or reference link fields provided. Copying and pasting from other sources violates our Copyright Policy and you may be held liable. This includes story content as well as photos.
- As you research and find information about your plants you can summarize information in your own words in the plant story. If information is publically known or is a fact, you can use that information without need for citation. For example, scientific or factual information about a plant is not subject to copyright such as botanical name, prefers full sun, USDA hardy to zones 3-9, etc.
- If you find a website with helpful information we suggest you use the Reference Links to save a link to the website. You can add as many Reference Links as you like under Plant Details>Owner Information.
- You can also include mention and a hyperlink within the plant story if you want to refer to additional information that you have found especially helpful.
- If you have requested and received explicit permission to use content other than your own please include ‘information provided is courtesy of’ with a link.
- There are many places on the internet that use what is called “Creative Commons” permissions and usually it is acceptable to copy and paste that information as long as you give credit to the source as directed. If you use Google as your search engine and search using the “Advanced” search, there is a box to only look for results with Creative Commons permissions.
- You may also want to review our Copyright Policy for further information.
Any content or photos that are reported to us must be removed. We will attempt to contact you to notify you to correct the infringement. Ultimately we will have to remove it if you do not acknowledge us.
Please be aware that it is Plants Map’s policy to terminate the user accounts of repeat infringers. If you provide false information to us regarding any notifications, counter-notifications or repeat infringer notifications, we may terminate your user account.