Yes, you can submit your plants in a list or a spreadsheet file and we can upload them.
- Sign up to start a free profile
- If you are creating a plant list for an organization, create an individual profile first and then add the organization from your profile menu.
- Create your Import spreadsheet (see details below for instructions)
- Contact us about importing your plant list to your Plants Map profile.
We will work with you to import your plant data or send you a template spreadsheet.
Once the plants are imported you will see your plants listed on your My Plants Map page and can then add information and edit your plant pages.
You will also have access to My Tags to begin a plant tag or sign order list.
Plant List Import Format
We import plants into a profile using an Excel file that matches the file you can download directly from your My Plants Map page. [See our help article on this Export Tool feature]
To see the spreadsheet fields and format, our suggestion is to add a plant to your profile. On that plant page, fill out as much detail as you can about your plant on all of the tabs in the middle of the page.
- Add information in as many fields as you can on the Plant Details tab and the Growing Details tab.
- If you want to import the map data, add a location to see how to enter that data on the spreadsheet.
- If you want to link to other sites, add a reference link or two in that section of the Plant Details tab.
What this will do is populate a row of fields for that plant so you can see an example of the spreadsheet details that can be imported for a My Plants Map plant page. You can then you can use that plant as a guide to create the rows for additional plants on that spreadsheet.
When you are done, delete the plants that are already on the site from the spreadsheet and email that spreadsheet to us and we can import the new information into your profile with the details going into the right place.
Some of the columns will have other options that you won’t see in your data if you don’t check the boxes or fill out that information on your plant page. You can get an idea of the options (ie: tree, shrub, native, etc.) if you expand the columns and look at the header row. We tried to put hints next to the field names. If you need that detail or have questions, email and we can send the specifics.
If you do not have a spreadsheet, we encourage you to use My Plants Map as way to document your plants without having to use a spreadsheet. That is one of the reasons we built Plants Map was to avoid using spreadsheets as a means of saving plant data due to their limitations.
Also see our related help article on our My Tags ordering process. The plant page fields used for this automated order form include the following:
- Plant Title Field
- Plant Details Tab: Botanical Name
- Plant Details Tab: Common Name
- Plant Details Tab: Family
- Growing Details Tab: Native Range
- Profile Name (Individual or Organization)